The year 2017 was for me, a year of moving on. When my dad passed away last December of 2016, I realized that life is indeed very short and fleeting. I felt a kind of pain that I’ve never felt before – one mixed with regrets, what-ifs, and feeling sorry for myself and the family. Coming out of this experience, I realized that I had to do a reassessment of what I really value in life, and focus on that. And with that, my 2017 was full of taking chances, keeping things simple, and making more mindful decisions.
To be honest, this post is a few days late. But, I wanted to summarize my best 17 memories or moments (both good and bad), as a way of looking back. These are in no particular order in terms of value (e..g, #1 isn’t the best out of the list).
- Started adopting a minimalist lifestyle
- Passed JLPT N4
- Japan Travel – Tokyo in February 2017
- Japan Travel – Northern Kyushu & Fukuoka in June 2017
- Japan Travel – Osaka/Kyoto in October 2017
- Japan Travel – Nagoya in December 2017
- Domestic Travel – Boracay in May 2017 (Dang’s wedding)
- Domestic Travel – Coron in September 2017 (with Bisdaks)
- First falling snow/full blown winter experience
- Started investing in stocks and mutual funds
- Invested in my first real property (for the future)
- Supported my mom’s dream of renovating our home in Dalaguete
- Bought a 2nd hand car for Cebu
- Watched a Seventeen concert
- 10th year milestone in P&G (gave my mom the anniversary watch)
- 5 trips to Cebu, with longer durations
- Dad’s 40th day in January
- Went home for Mom’s birthday in July
- Lola Auring passed away in August, and all of my cousins and relatives who I grew up with were there – it felt like a reunion!
- The fiesta in our province (Lanao, Dalaguete) was a lot of fun!
- First time to celebrate Undas/Christmas with Dad at the cemetery
- Started (and failed at) daily blogging
These are the big moments that stand out. Of course, 2017 would not be complete without the small moments spent with family and friends, eating out, catching up, and even playing Pokemon Go! Looking back, 2017 has really been a great year for me. My intention for posting this is not to show off, but rather, to inspire and motivate myself to do even better in 2018. I will have a separate post for that, but my plan for 2018 is to continue focusing on my family, my future, and not be scared of taking risks. And yes, I will restart the daily blog, too!
It’s three days late but Happy New Year everyone! I wish you all a better 2018! 🙂